Connect with us

SPORTS

Eliud Kipchoge On The Verge To Beat His Own Record

Published

on

// Photo Courtesy

Marathon runner Eliud Kipchoge believes he can get even closer to a possible sub-two hour marathon after narrowing the gap by 30 seconds when setting his recent world record in Berlin last month.

The 37-year-old ran a time of two hours, one minute and nine seconds to beat his previous benchmark, which had stood since 2018.

“I believe that I still have time to show the world how to push limits,” the Kenyan told the BBC World Service.

“I can still run my personal best in the near future. I can still try again.”

Four years ago, Kipchoge took 78 seconds off compatriot Dennis Kimetto’s 2014 record of 2:02.57.

He then became the first man to run a marathon in under two hours in 2019, yet the time in Vienna could not be an official world record since it was not in open competition and he used a team of rotating pacemakers, among other measures.


Legendary Footballer Congratulates Ababu Namwamba Appointment

Kipchoge ran the first half of late September’s race in Berlin in 59 minutes and 51 seconds, prompting thoughts that he may become the first runner to break the two-hour mark in an official race.

He had played down his chances of a world record in the build-up, but admits lowering his time had been his stated aim in the German capital.

“My plan was not to run under two hours, my plan was to break a world record,” he said.

“I realise that we are fast enough to run under an hour in a half-marathon, which was really motivating for me.

“And it’s a good sign also that the future is clear. I’m showing the people that you can [go] as fast as you can for the half-marathon and still do something good at the end of it.”

Kipchoge turns 38 next month and now says winning the Olympic marathon at the Paris Games in 2024 is on his “bucket list”.

He was won the past two Olympic titles – becoming just the third person to defend a marathon title when he crossed the line in Tokyo – and a third successive triumph would be a first for a man or woman.

“I trust that all things will carry me well up to 2024 to present myself at the starting line,” he said.

“What I like is history. To be the first human being to run back-to-back-to-back for three times and win Olympic marathon gold medal, it’s my bucket list.

“It’s there in my mind. I don’t know what will happen but still, for now, I want to concentrate on recovering my body.”

Via BBC

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

NEWS

FIFA Lifts Ban Imposed on Kenya

Published

on

By

World football governing body FIFA on Monday, November 28, lifted the ban on Kenya.

In a letter from Secretary-General Fatma Samoura to FKF CEO Barry Otieno, a delegation comprising FIFA and CAF will be deployed to Kenya to define the next steps.

FIFA also announced plans to meet the new Sports Cabinet Secretary Ababu Namwamba in a bid to iron out further issues in the country’s sports sector.

FIFA suspended Kenya from all footballing activities in February 2022, after former Sports CS Amina Mohamed disbanded the Football Kenya Federation in November 2021.

This prevented Kenya from taking part in all international competitions. Following the ban, Kenya missed out on three continental competitions including the 2023 African Cup of Nations qualifiers, CAF confederations and Champions League games.

This formed part of CS Namwamba’s key focus when assuming office. On his first day in office, the Sports CS engaged FIFA on a phone call in a bid to resolve the impasse.

“On my first day in office, I engaged FIFA on the phone to commence the process of resolving the impasse that has seen Kenya banned by the world football governing body.

“Government is committed to returning Kenyan football to normalcy in sync with the rule of law and public good,” he previously stated.

In a bid to seal the deal, the Sports CS met with FIFA president Gianni Infantino on Thursday, November 24, to ensure the country was in good books with the Federation.

“I met in Doha today; FIFA President Gianni Infantino, General Secretary Fatma Samoura and CAF President Patrice Motsepe.

“I congratulate Qatar for superbly hosting the world’s most loved sporting event, and commend FIFA for making football truly global,” Namwamba noted.

Via Kenyans.co.ke

Continue Reading

SPORTS

Steven Gerrad Tenure at Aston Villa Ends Indefinitely After 3-0 Defeat Against Fulham

Published

on

By

Aston Villa have sacked their coach Steven Gerrard following 3-0 defeat to Fulham on Thursday night.

The former Liverpool midfielder took charge at Villa Park last November and secured 14th-placed finish in 2021/22.

Villa have won two of 12 Premier League games this season.

The club’s decision was announced shortly after Gerrard’s side suffered a comprehensive 3-0 defeat against Fulham at Craven Cottage – Villa’s sixth defeat in just 11 Premier League games.

A statement released after the match read: Aston Villa Football Club can confirm that Head Coach Steven Gerrard has left the club with immediate effect.

A club spokesman said: “We would like to thank Steven for his hard work and commitment and wish him well for the future.”

Gerrad replaced Dean Smith at Villa Park on November 11, 2021 and lasted less than a year before he became the fourth top-flight manager to lose his job so far this season, following Scott Parker, Thomas Tuchel and Bruno Lage.

Former Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino and ex-Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel are eyed keenly by Villa, but whether the Birmingham club could entice either man to Villa Park remains to be seen.

Continue Reading

Latest News

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this: